

Napa District 11
Panel 73 General Service Meeting
Via Zoom 860-5600 2397 -PW 060455
1:30PM – 3:30PM
March 9, 2024 Minutes

I. Opening of meeting: Serenity Prayer

II. Introductions, New GSR's, Alternates, and visitors, Birthdays

Claudia N - CNCA06 Treasurer

Sandy S - DCMC: I want to thank the district for funding me to PRAASA. I was not looking forward to it but the magic of PRAASA cheered me up. My first was 2004 and have gone every year except when it was in Alaska or Hawaii. Hope to see you next year in Alaska

Jason A - Intergroup Liaison: Most interesting thing is I am putting my house on the market next month

Joe T - DCM03, Bridging the Gap Chair

Duncan L - GSR Joe's Group, FOC Chair: I am a feminist

Nell - GSR Freethinkers: Spread the word for their new meeting. One of my kids threw up all over the carpet and I cleaned it up for the housekeeper

John K - GSR Men's Stag: We are starting the group conscious gathering with this group, cautiously optimistic and not overwhelmed

Angela H - GSR Calistoga Gliders: We have six members who are active in the business meetings. Something about me is I have three chickens

Micheal M - GSR Living Sober, Lit Chair: Group is doing well, new secretary is doing really well and everyone is excited about the Agenda Topics. Going to the first international convention in Vancouver

Melanie A - Keep it Simple Sister: Group is GREAT. Don't ever underestimate who came before you. Went over agenda topics process and got her first service sponsor. Going to Peru on Wednesday!

Derek C - Big Book Study: Attendance last Sunday was the best it has been since my time as GSR. Getting a lot of enthusiastic feedback about agenda topics. I have a date picked and am using announcements to inform the group on select topics

Elizabeth B - Alt DCM, PCIPC Chair: Planning to do an 80 mile bike ride coming up.

Thom H - DCM02: Had an amazing time at PRAASA and got a lot of really good info. Fynn is amazing

Devin P- D11 Treasurer: Having early contractions and in and out of the hospital on her timing

Laura K - DCM01: We are planning a three to four month road trip to Alaska

Micheal M - 14 years!

Sandy S - 26 years!

Nell - 12 years!

III. GSRs – 90 seconds– share about your group / check in / Questions

IV. Volunteers for the month of April GSR Report Back, Tradition 4 and Concept 4

V.

GSR Report Back - Angela H (This meeting)

GSR Report Back - Duncan

Tradition 4 - Nell

Concept 4 - Laura

Tradition 3: [Melaine] The only requirement for AA membership is a desire to stop drinking.

VI. Concept 3: [Michael] To ensure effective leadership, we should endow each element of A.A. – the Conference, the General Service Board and its service corporations, staffs, committees, and executives with a traditional "Right of Decision."

VII. Approval of:

a. Minutes – February 2024 (Accepted)

VIII. Upcoming Dates to remember:

a. Agenda Topic Workshop – March 17th, Presbyterian Church, St. Helena

b. Pre-Conference Assembly – April 6 & 7, Petaluma Veterans Memorial Building
c. Post-Conference Assembly – May 11th, Willits Community Center

d. Unity Day – June 15th, 2024, Crosswalk Church

e. Summer Assembly – August 10th, Campbell Community Center

f. Pacific Regional Forum – July 12th-15th- *find information at*

<https://area72aa.org/event/pacific-regional-forum-2/>

g. Fall Assembly – November 9th– Cornerstone Fellowship of Livermore, CA

IX. Date Changes for the Year [dates that conflict with Area Assemblies & PRAASA] a. April – change to April 13th at 1:30-3:30PM

X. Financial Oversight Committee – Update

Duncan: I had a meeting to discuss. We have another one coming up but I was involved with PRAASA and personal matters but I am back to it now. I am free now so I look forward to communicating about future meetings.

XI. Sub-Committee to Review District 11 meeting at Presbyterian Church, St. Helena, in a hybrid format

Thom Hinesley - We have not met, I was over committed. The place is available, that is all I have for now.

XII. Meeting in a Pocket – Jeff Dickinson

Sandy S: Jeff is not here but, he wanted me to open this up about distributing these to local events and meetings. I am going to now open this up for discussion about printing these for distribution.

Micheal M: I love the meeting in the pocket. If it is not too expensive print these for the local GSR. I also took these to Peru and gave them out and people loved them.

Duncan L: I love it. I keep one in my car. I give them to sponsees. I don't see a problem taking these to other area workshops as a way to give back to others. As long as we are making sure that we distribute them internally I don't see a problem.

Elisabeth B: At a previous panel I shared some of the meetings in a pocket at the PICPC table and a lot of other districts loved them and wanted to use them for themselves. We drop them off to health and human services along with pamphlets when we do our work. Also at health fairs, there is one coming up in September that we will be taking them to. Newly sober people seem to really appreciate them?

John K: How many copies were printed?

Sandy S: They are coming very slowly but we have ordered 2,500 of them. We have shared about 200 so far. I think they are coming slowly because they are too thick to staple so they are having to hand fold them. I have a bunch and anyone can reach out to me to get some to take them to a meeting or event. Does anyone object to taking these to outside events? (No Objections)

XIII. Open Positions:

a. Accessibilities Committee Chair (None Available)

b. Unity Day Chair – June 15, 2024 Melanie A. is available (No Objections)

XIV. Visiting Area Officer – Claudia Nola, Area Treasurer – Presentation on “Experience at PRAASA, why attend?”

Claudia N: Before we start, how much time do I have?

Sandy S: 8-10 minutes.

Claudia N: I am still on a pink cloud for this years events. I love that Jennifer opened with concept 4 about our need to connect. “All of us desire to belong...” That really set the tone for the theme of connecting with the theme. It was like priming the pump for doing agenda topics and the ones that are sprinkled through the panels. The membership service survey was disturbing, where are our young people. We talked about can we say no to service, I want to always say yes but we have to take care of ourselves first. GSR's, you have a lot going on this time of year, make sure to take care of yourselves. If we are to resist the urge for outside contributions we need to make sure we step up because nobody else can. Are we contributing at all levels to make sure AA still runs. Is it not up to us? I think it is, we are lacking in a few areas. Contributions are low. As we use hybrid remember that costs are going up. Is service still an avocation, if there is not some kind of inconvenience is it really service? Willingness and want are two different things. Tradition 2... Listening to the group conscious, listen to the group and continue the conversation and watch it as it changes. Always remain open minded. Remember to listen like I have no opinion which is hard. We talked about the lords prayer at the international level. All of the topics really primed the pump for a lot of people who attended. We have the background as well as summaries to really answer questions at the group. We have three new pamphlets coming out, Unhoused, Trans, Asian. I thought I was better than or worse than and being represented in the pamphlet makes me feel like I belong. Our stories are the keys to the kingdom and we all need access. What do we do for the person out there who feels like they don't belong at AA. I have been spiritually sand papered as well as been the sand paper. Thanks for letting me talk.

Angela H: Can you say anything else about service as an avocation.

Claudia N: What I would say is its more of a calling. Some said it was a balance between self sacrifice and service. Talked about what their motives were. That learning to be of service was like getting a masters degree. Some of us had drilled into us to always to say yes, and I think that is too black and white. Remember the airplane metaphor about getting your own mask on before helping another.

Duncan L: I want to mirror what you said about PRAASA being a unique experience. My first was last year, it was different traveling to a meeting of that many alcoholics, there is something that happens. There is a spiritual experience when you put a bunch of people in a place and time. There is something that happens to a person there consciously that gets them to share. Our program is communal, its about the fellowship. Service is really a communal thing. I really appreciate getting asked to help set up this year. Getting to use my real world skills as well as staying in my lane, being a part of the whole. I had good practice wanting to say yes to all the opportunities for service but sticking to my main purpose there as a GSR.

Micheal M: I have been to three PRAASA but not this year. I like getting to know people from all over. Do you know people in all of the other states?

Claudia N: One of my highlights was seeing one of my first service sponsors this year because we go her out here. I can't wait for the international convention.

Sandy S: Thank you for sharing your enthusiasm. The purpose of PRAASA is to encourage cooperation between areas in our region...

XV. Break and Seventh Tradition 2:22 (Eight minute break)

XVI. Officer Reports:

DCMC - Sandy S: Thank you everyone for sending me to PRAASA, it was amazing. I volunteered at the registration desk, it was the most organized I have ever seen. I attended the DCMC area meeting, there was a presentation on "What happens following the conference". I can send a copy out to you. Thank you Elizabeth for attending the ACM, she took notes.

Alt. DCMC, PI/CPC - Elizabeth B: At our committee meeting, always the fourth saturday of the month, there is a zoom link. Please get in touch if you would like to attend. Locally we meet on the last Sunday of the month, there is a link on our area website and we are teaching how to speak on AA outside the program if anyone would like to learn. We did one at Aldea, they were very excited for what we had to share and we left pamphlets.

DCM 01 - Laura K: Some of our meetings do not have GSR, thank you to those who are stepping up currently. Our noon meetings need a GSR, I have been stepping up to take their conscious

DCM 02 - Thom H: We have an Agenda Topics Workshop coming up on the 17th in St. Helena, please make sure to announce and attend yourself

DCM 03 - Joe T: If anyone needs a note taker, we are all available for that. Please reach out with any questions

Treasurer - Devyn P: (See report)

Recording Secretary - Derek C: Nothing to report

Registrar - Jo M: (Not in attendance)

Archives - Angela H: I attended my first meeting at the area level. There was a lot of enthusiasm there, many districts were represented. I will be attending a work day in April, I hope to have a good display ready for Unity day.

Web/Tech - (Not in attendance)

Literature - Micheal M: I put in my report. The app is doing really well. There was a workshop for it. We did a conscious on how the grapevine should be funded

BTG - Joe T: I got to go into Duffy's and present and it went great. It was a really rewarding experience. The facility is open but it is detox only. Residential will be starting on the 15th. If you are interested in this service please reach out to me

Beginners Mtg - Matt H: (Not in attendance, report included) Please attend and announce at meetings, we always need attendance. Many requests to change it to six o clock which will have to be brought to district

Tech Committee - Jeff:

Intergroup Liaison - Jason A: Not a lot to report. We are getting a lot of good traction on printing our new newsletter. It will be subscription based so stay tuned. Discussed distribution to district and GSO of excess funds, a motion was passed to distribute an extra to GSO.

H&I Liaison - John K: There is a lack of chairs to start meetings, there are not very stringent requirements for getting in there. There will be a workshop May 11, second week in May. PICPC, BTG will be doing some info sharing as well as scraping up volunteers.

NAPYPAA Liaison - Derek C: Sam and I are starting it back up. Sam is the fire behind it, we already have six volunteers and an initial date of March 27 after Nevere Too Young.
Unity Day -

Guidelines: Voting members of District 11 are the District Officers, Chairpersons, and current GSR's/Alternate if GSR not present. During discussion, please wait to be recognized by the Chairperson. Remember all discussion should be direct to the chairperson. Please give only your own ideas and refrain from a debate or commenting on what other people have shared. We want all people to feel comfortable with their thoughts and ideas. Finally wait until all have had a chance to share before speaking again. **Housekeeping Motions:** Housekeeping motions are simple in nature and usually do not set precedence for the District. There is no discussion, and they are accepted if no one disapproves of them, otherwise, it goes to New Business for the next DBM.

XVII. Housekeeping Motion:

a. The Agenda Workshop ad-hoc committee would like to make a housekeeping motion to provide the Agenda Workshop with refreshments at a cost not to exceed \$50.00. – Thom H, DCM

We are having a workshop and we need a bit of money for refreshments as the space is free. We really only need about \$25 but would rather have it and not need it.

Duncan L: What kind of refreshments?

Thom H: Cookies, coffee and tea.

Sandy S: Any objections? (Passed)

b. The PICPC committee requests to be given funding for business cards not to exceed \$100.00. – Elisabeth B

Sandy S: Have you looked at different places to have them printed?

Elisabeth B: Yes, it is more expensive to have fewer prints. I am doing it with Staples, I tried Copy Corner and it didn't work out

Joe T: What is the contents of the card?

Elisabeth: It describes PICPC as well as contact information as well as the hotline. "If you think you have a problem with drinking..." Wherever professionals are meeting there are cards being exchanged so I think it would be good for us to have them

Laura K: I agree with the importance of having a card but I would prefer to see the card as well as some pricing for different printing options.

Elisabeth B: Specifically at this time I am not expecting to spend that much, I have a prototype if you would like to see. (Showed on screen) I think I can get 100 cards for \$50 or 250 for \$100.

Sandy S: Any objections? (Passed)

XVIII. Old Business: None

XIX. Presentation of New Business: None

XX. New Business: None

XXI. Discussion Items:

a. Whether to use recording for backup checks for minutes of the DBM

Angela H: In my opinion I don't think anyone is going to go back and listen so its a waste of time and space

Derek C: As long as there is no extra storage or archival needing to be done it could be okay. I am doing the best I can to record live and miss some things so if we need it to be more precise I could go back over.

Joe T: I think it is an extra tool for anyone to use for accuracy. If there is no extra cost then, why not? I can't type very fast so I would need it

Duncan L: At area they record for the Recording Secretary, as long as we had requirements for the storage and elimination of it afterward. So as long as everyone was okay with it for anonymity.

Nell: If there was some reason I couldn't attend I would go back and listen to it, but that might decrease attendance if people knew that they could go back and listen.

Thom H: If you use it can be a good tool, easily time consuming if not used right.

Angela H: If it was deleted after the minutes there would be no storage or archive worries.

Sandy S: It is built into the system so, I think there is no cost.

b. Recommendations from November's District 11 Inventory

Elizabeth B: We met and went over everything that we heard. The action items were, looking at having an agenda topics sharing session to have GSR better informed. Going over PRAASA scholarships to make them more accessible and fair. Collaborating with intergroup to use public service announcements. GSR making announcements about being a conduit. GSR talking about what service has done for them.

Duncan L: When the district has an inventory, do we make goals or what is the next step.

Sandra S: We don't have precedent, it is up to the group how we proceed from here.

John K: Some of these are already happening like the agenda topics workshop. With carrying the message there would have to be some research. Unless we come up with a plan right now we are doing most of these besides the PRAASA fund because of the GSO crunch.

Joe T: Sometimes an inventory is just to check to see what we are doing. Perhaps there is no follow up for the recommendations.

Angela H: I think doing five and six at the GSR school level would be cool to teach them how to talk to the group without turning them off by talking too much. How to share, what to share and how much to share. Modeling this for new GSR's would be very beneficial.

Sandra S: Do people want to keep this as a discussion item?

Angela H: I think since Elizabeth has heard a lot from the group, maybe she could report back

Duncan L: Maybe we could do some work at GSR school to create action items

Sandra S: This will move to discussion at the next GSR school.

XXII. Area Committee and Assembly Motions: See attached Area Motions

XXIII. What's on your Mind?

XXIV. Close with the Responsibility Statement