Napa District 11 Panel 73 General Service Meeting Via Zoom 860-5600 2397 – PW 060455 10:00AM – 12:00PM October 5, 2024 Minutes

- **I. Opening of meeting: Serenity Prayer** (Start 10 am)
- II. Introductions, New GSR's, Alternates, and visitors, Birthdays

Angela - Calistoga Gliders GSR / District Archives Chair Elizabeth - Alternate DCMC / PICPC Chair Terry - Serenity on Saturday GSR Micheal - Living Sober GSR / District Literature Chair Derek - Big Book Study Sunday GSR / District Secretary Teresa - New Life Women's Group GSR Duncan - Joe's Group GSR / FOC Chair Eric - Area Delegate Jeff - CNCA Web Editor / District Web Editor Allie - Member at large Nell - Freethinkers GSR Chris - Candlelight GSR Laura - Sub District 01 Thom - Sub District Eric - Member at large Giulio - Serenity in the Park GSR Jo - District Registrar

- III. GSRs 90 seconds– share about your group / check in / Questions
- IV. Volunteers for the month of November GSR Report Back, Tradition 11 and Concept 11

Thank you Jo for Report Back this month!

Sandy: Can I get a sense of the room for getting volunteers for January since we will h

- **V. Tradition 10:** [Nell] AA, as such, ought never be organized; but we may create service boards or committees directly responsible to those they serve.
 - **VI. Concept 10:** [Jeff] Every service responsibility should be matched by an equal service authority— the scope of such authority to be always well defined whether by tradition, by resolution, by specific job description or by appropriate charters and bylaws.
 - VII. Approval of:
 - Minutes September 2024 (approved)
 - VIII. Upcoming Dates to remember:
 - Fall Election Assembly November 9th Cornerstone Fellowship of Livermore, CA
 - IX. Financial Oversight Committee Update Duncan Lange

I have sent out information for review on the financial guidelines and proposed budget. This will be new business next meeting. I will make sure we have updated numbers for this year's budget by that meeting. I am willing to meet with anyone to go over them. Are there any questions for me?

X. Presentation of 2026 Budget – For review [will vote for disapproval in January]

XI. Assembly Bid for Fall Assembly Update – Duncan Lange

Sandy: We will be hosting with District 18 who will be providing food.

Duncan: Sandy, myself and Jackie B met and we had a look at Chardonnay Hall which is a nicely kept livestock hanger and will have adequate parking, technical space. The host is a friend of Bill and will be happy to help us. I think it will be an ideal way to ease back into the idea of hosting an assembly which in turn will be a good way to get members in our District interested in General Service.

Sandy: I will be putting that bid together and presenting it to District 18 and submitting it to the Area Business meeting in October.

XII. Meeting in a Pocket – to get copies contact Sandy (707.363.0720) OR Jeff D (510.384.0731) for copies **XIII. Assembly Motions**: There are no new Area or Assembly Motions.

XIV. Open Positions:

• Accessibilities Chair (none available)

XV. Visiting Area Officer – Eric L. Presentation on: "The Third Legacy Procedure and what to expect at the Area Election Assembly".

Hello everybody. I am Eric and I got sober in San Jose and I will be your Delegate for another two months. At the next Area Assembly we will be electing all new area officers. We will all be rotating because two years is a long time to do any of these positions and we get to pass on the fun! We will not be doing new or old new business so will be getting right to it. First we will be electing a member at large for consideration at the next conference. We will be trying a new style of voting which is text to vote so we don't have to count hands in the room. To be elected with two thirds of the vote which hardly ever happens. On the next round of voting some people will get dropped off and rounds will continue until someone gets two thirds of the vote. On the last round of voting, if someone still does not have two thirds of the vote, all remaining will be "put in the hat" and left up to chance/god. Before voting each person will be asked if they are available and if they are they will talk about why they should be considered. This style of voting will be used for each of the eight positions. If you do not want to text to vote, paper ballots will be available. This will conceivably take some time because five rounds of voting for eight positions adds up. This will get repetitive but I advise you to listen, even if someone is saying the same thing over and over again, take that into account. Is this someone you want to serve you for the next two years? These are important positions and two years is kind of a long time. Don't worry about the people who do not get elected because there are a lot of ways to serve whether in sub districts or back in their home groups. This next cycle there will be a lot of repercussions from this very active year in AA. Each of you should be considering what positions you are available because if you are here you are eligible. We have a really interesting speaker at the next assembly, someone who is not even an alcoholic and gives 40 - 50 hours to general service who, is going to talk about money but make it sound really interesting.

Duncan: How do we make ourselves available?

Eric: We have a list of everyone who is eligible and will use them to call on you. If you are available, be available. If you are not qualified, that is okay. Your peers will know that. I was not qualified but eligible for eight years in a row.

If you want to go to the International Convention in Vancouver there are still rooms available. They are of course not downtown but some will become available as we get more rooms, like at universities, and people release their extra rooms they reserved for friends.

XVI. Break and Seventh Tradition – PayPal – gsdistrict11@gmail.com (10:57 - 9:07)

XVII. Officer Reports:

- DCMC Sandy: Written report included in the packet. If you have never attended the ACM it is a great way to learn more about what is going on and there is always a good presentation. If you talk to Area Officers you will often hear that it is their favorite meeting. People are interested in the treasurer's report, there were over \$3,000 from online contributions this month. We had several presentations as well as a bid to host the Post Conference Assembly.
- Alt. DCMC PI/CPC Elizabeth: I sent my report out late so I sent it out individually. One thing we always begin our monthly meeting with is "What is PI/CPC", we work with professionals who work with alcoholics and public service organizations. Please contact me with any questions or meeting information.
- DCM 01 Laura: I want to thank all the GSR's and all of the people who work for the general well being of AA as a whole. Working in general service has added a tremendous amount to my recovery.

DCM 02

- Treasurer Devyn: Written report included. I was not available to attend the last meeting, I apologize for that. We paid for our P.O.Box. We had a couple group contributions but I was dealing with a death in the family so have not been able to put them into the account as of yet. Any questions? I would like to submit the August and September reports for approval. (approved)
- Recording Secretary Derek: The hybrid written report is hard to understand with the shared mic in the room, thank you for letting me be of service.
- Registrar Jo: I submitted a written report, there has not been any new member to add this month.
- Archives Angela: Report submitted. I don't have anything to add to my report, I am heading to an archives meeting after this.
- Web/Tech Jeff: We have started to develop a team for next panel. We do have a motion to split the web and tech chairs this meeting since both have expanded since we have gone hybrid post Covid. I will be rotating out but will remain available to train the incoming chair.
- Literature Micheal: I attended the area literature meeting this month. Matt Evans talked this month. Grapevine is going up to \$18/ year.

BTG

Beginners Mtg - Matt: (Sandy) It is well attended and there is good sobriety who are regularly attending as well as some occasional newcomers. The meeting is self supporting.

Tech Committee

Intergroup Liaison

H&I Liaison - John K: Written report included

NAPYPAA Liaison - Derek: Our meeting is well attended and we have our most critical positions filled. We have our eye on doing the Christmas Alcathon next and we should be finding out soon since we sent someone to the intergroup meeting to put our bid in.

Guidelines: Voting members of District 11 are the District Officers, Chairpersons, and current GSR's/Alternate if GSR not present. During discussion, please wait to be recognized by the Chairperson. Remember all discussion should be direct to the chairperson. Please give only your own ideas and refrain from a debate or commenting on what other people have shared. We want all people to feel comfortable with their thoughts and ideas. Finally wait until all have had a chance to share before speaking again.

Housekeeping Motions: Housekeeping motions are simple in nature and usually do not set precedence for the District. There is no discussion, and they are accepted if no one disapproves of them, otherwise, it goes to New Business for the next DBM.

XVIII. Housekeeping Motion: None

XIX. Old Business: None

XX. Presentation of New Business:

 Motion: That district 11 purchase a laptop, microphone, and the necessary equipment, not to exceed \$1200, to conduct our hybrid District Business Meetings – Presented by Angela H, Archives Chair

Sandy: This came out of our officers meeting. This is new business so we will have a discussion and will move it to vote on next month. We thought that this was too large amount to be a housekeeping motion.

Nell: Are we thinking that we need higher quality equipment?

Sandy: We are currently using the personal equipment of members, so we are thinking to be self supporting. Are there any questions?

I want to get a sense of the room if we would like to fast track this or move it to January?

Duncan: I want to mention that there is \$800 in the 2025 budget and there is some flexibility to expand this to cover the cost to cover this. I am for fast tracking this

Sandy: The sense of the room is that we fast track this. I will take discussion now.

Thom: I would suggest we get a multi directional microphone to capture all the audio in the room.

Terry: Who will be responsible for purchasing this and since we will be rotating.

Sandy: Thom has set up with someone who he is consulting with and will pass this information on to whoever the new person will be.

Nell: Is there a way for people to get reimbursed when using their own equipment as an alternative to this?

Sandy: We are not reimbursed to use our personal equipment.

Are we ready to vote (yes)

Sandy: Who wants to vote with substantial unanimity? (7 yes 5 no)

(Results - unanimous yes)

XXI. New Business:

• Motion: That District 11 separate out the current committees of web and tech into two separate committees. [i.e. - Presented by Jeff D, web/tech Chair

Sandy: Any clarifying questions?

Duncan: Will this create a new chair / vote?

Jeff: Yes.

Sandy: I would like to ask if we could fast track this also, is that okay? (sense of the room is yes)

Jeff: Just some information, since we are creating a new job we need a new job description and I have volunteered for that since I am doing both jobs and made the first description.

Sandy: Any questions?

Duncan: How will we get to see description prior to the election meeting?

Sandy: Once Jeff has created it I will send it to you all individually.

Are we ready for a vote? (yes)

Substantial unanimity? (no)

(Results - 14 yes 1 abstention)

XXII. Discussion Items:

 District 11 having scholarships for PRAASA on a regular basis given the District has the financial means. Include as part of the Budget? Who? Requirement – person in need? How to distribute?

Duncan - I would like to ask Eric how other districts handle this question.

Sandy - We have some information on this, many districts do this differently but more give scholarships than don't

Eric - Sandy is right. The next one is in Alaska and the one after is in Hawaii which are both very expensive locations.

Thom - I think this is a good idea but when I look at the responsibility of the GSR is to show up to the assemblies. Although PRAASA gets members excited about general service I think we could focus some of our efforts on assemblies and local workshops.

Elizabeth - My experience has been awesome. I get a lot of information from other folks who have the same commitment as I do in the breakout rooms. I think opening it up to more than just GSR's is important.

XXIII. Area Committee and Assembly Motions: No Area Motions

XXIV. What's on your Mind?

XXV. Close with the Responsibility Statement